Tuesday, December 29, 2015

16 weeks and counting

In 16 weeks I will once again be in Boston with my teammates, my parents, Chris, Owen, Caitlin's family and Nolan's family. I can't wait. It's a weekend filled with some of my favorite people that all have one goal and that is to do all we can to fight cancer. Just about everyone I know has been affected by cancer in some way which is why this cause is so important to people.

The last couple of weeks have been incredibly humbling and to say I am grateful and blessed seems inadequate. The students, staff and parents at my elementary school collected change as part of a spare change challenge between our principal Karen Trimboli and a staff member Shona Trimboli. To say the students at our school learned about giving is an understatement. I have done a ton of fundraisers over the last 17 years but the way our entire school community rallied around this cause was inspiring. They were able to raise just over $1,800 and during the assembly where pie was thrown it was announced that the total would be matched by an anonymous donor. The whole experience moved me to tears as well as other staff members. I won't lie the students were very excited to see the principal receive a pie in the face and even though Shona won the challenge she took a pie as well. I of course will never be able to thank my school enough for what they did in the fight against cancer.

With that fundraiser and others that I have ongoing as well as donations from friends and family I have raised over $5,000 for the DFMC. I am working on filling Super Bowl squares as well. The football pool will total $2,500 with half of the proceeds going to cancer research and the other half being split between two winners. Several squares  have been purchased so if you are interested in trying your luck on one let me know. In keeping with square rules Nolan (my patient partner) and my son Owen will be assigning the numbers on the board just before the Super Bowl takes place or when all of the squares are filled. In late March or early April there will be a car wash in Ludlow which will be the last of my fundraisers. There are also several 50/50 raffles coming up at Killarneys restaraunt in Ludlow and some surprise fundraisers in between.

I can't tell you how exciting it is to see my DFMC teammates training in my originally designed 26.2 sweatshirts. The team has kept me very busy with orders! They are all over the streets of Boston and even as far as New Mexico! The more people that know about Dana-Farber and the hundreds of thousands of people they have helped the better.

A week ago my family spent the weekend celebrating the 60th birthday of Caitlin's mom Peggy.  Being surrounded by her family is always exciting. They know how to throw a great party! The next morning we visited Caitlin on the anniversary of her passing. There really is nothing you can say that gives comfort or makes sense of a child dying. Peggy said something to me at the party that I will carry with me on the course this year and that is having her daughter being remembered is all they want. They don't want the world to forget about her. The weekend was bittersweet. It also continued that same day with Cailitn's nephew Logan celebrating his third birthday. He truly is an angel.

Today winter training began! I won't lie I got very comfortable with the recent weather but you can only be spoiled for so long and Chris is tired of skiing everyday on the same few trails. The town also needs the snow so bring it on. I am well equipped for winter running and after last winter there aren't many elements I won't run in.

To all of those that support me, my family, my friends, my school, my DFMC family, Nolan and his family and Caitlin's family I love and thank you from the bottom of my heart and the soles of my feet. I continue to be humbled, inspired by the stories I receive and thankful that so many people are as passionate about this cause as I am.

Have a wonderful new year. May it be healthy, full of family and surrounded by love.

In the words of Sandy Dubuc "DON'T STOP BELIEVING!!!"




Much love,
Lisa

               WELCOME BACK TO TWO TIME CANCER SURVIVOR HILARY!!!!!
                                                   THE TEAM IS COMPLETE!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment