Saturday, December 5, 2015

Running Buddy

This morning was absolutely beautiful for a long run. I am feeling very grateful for all of this warm weather for the start of the DFMC season. I mean really when do you ever go out for a run in a t-shirt during the month of December?!?! I'll take it!
This morning I woke up after a night of giving and the spirit of Christmas. Children and adults came to the Ludlow Town Hall to watch the movie The Polar Express and have a surprise visit from Santa. It was wonderful to see the smiling faces of the kids when Santa entered the room. I love the weeks leading to Christmas for several reasons but watching kids enjoy the magic of the season tops my list. I am surrounded by that magic everyday in my classroom as well as at home with Owen. There's nothing like it! It was so nice to provide an activity in our community for kids. When you live in a rural place this does not happen all the time and keep in mind we are anywhere from 20-40 minutes away from a movie theater. I was overwhelmed by the gratitude of the donations that were given for my run to fight cancer. I heard stories from people about how they have been affected by cancer and the importance of cancer research and care. These stories solidify why I am so passionate about the DFMC team and running for Caitlin and Nolan. I can't thank everyone enough that attended the movie last night and donated to such a great cause. Parents were talking about how they wished this could happen every Friday night so I have decided to hold another movie event during stick season and possibly before.
This morning my 10 mile run was amazing. The sun was shining, the weather was warm, and we saw a flock of turkeys and even met a new neighbor. The best part of this run was I had a little sidekick with me. Although I wanted to run 13 miles I know my limits when pushing the stroller and Owen's limits in the stroller. I have been blessed with a child who has enjoyed being my running buddy since he was 6 months old. He loves to run with me and is often disappointed on the days I have to go to the gym and run on the dread mill (keeps me honest about my sprints). I cherish the time Owen and I spend running together. It's a lot slower and challenging because of the stroller and the VT hills but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I know how lucky I am to be able to do something I love with someone I love. We have officially discussed just about every endangered animal there is and as a result of all of these runs I wouldn't be surprised if Owen grows up to doing something to help them. I am convinced this is what sparked his wanting to sponsor an animal for his birthday. He has chosen the whale shark and the leopard. So I consider this time together priceless but also one that allows for endless conversation as well as a nap every now and then.
Of course the run ended and we headed to my classroom together to get some work done as well as knowing the Christmas party at the fire department is waiting for us tonight but this morning was a perfect way to start the day and a memory I have forever.
Cheers!!!

1 comment: