Sunday, December 13, 2015

Family Reunion

Yesterday I was reunited with my DFMC family. I can't tell you how exciting it was to see all of my friends and teammates again. There were a lot of hugs, introductions and tons of laughter. The energy from the runners, the DFMC volunteers and our coach Jack Fultz were felt long after the run was over. Amongst the excitement we also found out that Nate who has been a patient partner for several years passed away last week. Every team member dedicated our run to him yesterday as well as his family. Please keep them all in your thoughts as well as his partnered runner.
The weather in Wellsley was absolutely perfect. We began our run at the 15 mile mark and ran the Newton Hills. If you asked me 17 years ago about the Newton Hills I wouldn't have a lot of nice things to say but I have come to really enjoy running them. After running this section of the course so much last winter it doesn't fill "hilly" anymore. I ran with a teammate Jennie who runs in memory of her siblings as well as new running partners Brian and Rick. I had one of my better 10 mile runs holding a pace of 8:37 miles which is considered fast for me. I'm pretty sure the speed under my feet came from being with my teammates. There is so much inspiration on the team...more than I will ever know!
I was also fortunate enough to have my mom drive me down which gave us time to spend together. Life is busy and having extra time to spend with my mom makes this cause even more special. The support that my mom and dad both give me is overwhelming. I'm a lucky girl!
Please take some time in the next few days and weeks to think of Nate and say a prayer for his family and all of the families who have to face these weeks without a child. The in-memory patients hold a very special place in my heart and in the hearts of my teammates.
Many blessings to all of you.

The picture is with Kerry who has been on the team for several years. She runs in memory of Matty Dubuc...DFMC inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment